Having good communication skills is fundamental for success in the workplace, whether it’s in dealing with customers or coworkers within the company. When the communication barriers break down, a myriad of issues occur within the office including gossip, office politics and other adverse behavior. It’s important to have superior communication and apply the following practices within your company:
- Make sure roles, tasks and expectations are clearly defined. Avoid adding unexpected responsibilities on your employees.
- Implement clear and concise processes within the organization. When processes include relevant information without unnecessary details, it saves time and money. When processes become too convoluted it creates confusion, miscommunication and conflict.
- Create a culture of open communication where employees feel free to voice their opinions without repercussion.
- Provide continuous feedback on employee performance.
- Motivate employees by pointing out accomplishments and exemplary work.
- Empathy towards employees and personal challenges.
Take these steps towards creating an environment that encourages openness and honesty in your workplace. If you create a workspace filled with healthy interpersonal relationships, you’re likely to see many extraordinary benefits within your organization today.